Daniel Shanley focuses his practice on electro-mechanical patent matters. His practice includes preparing and prosecuting U.S., P.C.T. and foreign utility and design patent applications; patent office post-grant proceedings; strategic counseling and due diligence; managing complex patent prosecution dockets; conducting studies of patent validity and infringement; performing freedom-to-operate studies; and assisting with intellectual property licensing and litigation. He has expertise in a variety of fields, including automotive, medical devices, oil and gas, electronics, marine engines, turbines and consumer products. Mr. Shanley’s clients have included Toyota, ExxonMobil, Kinetic Concepts Inc., University of Tennessee Research Foundation, and VF Corporation, among others.
Mr. Shanley’s prior experience includes working as an electro-mechanical engineer for the Department of the Navy, serving as an officer in the United States Naval Reserve, and, while attending law school, working as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in the mechanical arts.
- Toyota in prosecuting numerous patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In 2013, Toyota was awarded over 200 patents through Kenyon.
- ExxonMobil, the world’s largest publicly traded international oil and gas company, in prosecution matters. Prepared and prosecuted patent applications directed to the optimization of oil refining processes and logistical tools for assisting in petroleum product transportation. Also provided strategic patent counsel to ExxonMobil in connection with opinion matters.
- Kinetic Concepts Inc. (KCI) with strategic patent advice, patent opinions, and counseling related to its Negative Pressure Wound Therapy technology.
- University of Tennessee Research Foundation (UTRF) in preparing and prosecuting numerous U.S. and international patent applications related to various electro-mechanical technologies. Also provided strategic patent advice related to UTRF’s intellectual property portfolio.
- The North Face (a VF Corporation brand) in a confidential design patent matter.
- Ingenious Designs (IDL), a consumer products company and subsidiary of HSN, in design patent protection strategies. Also prosecuted and procured numerous U.S. and foreign design patents on behalf of IDL.