Sheila Mortazavi’s practice covers all facets of intellectual property litigation and counseling, with a particular emphasis on patent infringement litigation across a wide range of technologies.
Ms. Mortazavi has handled all phases of litigation before federal and state courts, the International Trade Commission, and arbitration panels, including pre-trial investigation, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, trial, and appellate practice. She advises clients on litigation strategy in complex patent cases, and has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving consumer electronics, computer hardware and software, telecommunications, electrical connectors, automotive components, medical devices and pharmaceuticals. She has also represented clients in unfair competition and trademark matters.
In addition to litigation, Ms. Mortazavi counsels clients on procurement and transfer of intellectual property rights, negotiation of licenses and other agreements, and evaluation of the scope, validity and enforceability of intellectual property rights.
Ms. Mortazavi is a member of the firm’s diversity committee. She was named a “Rising Star” in intellectual property by Super Lawyers 2013 for the New York Metro area.
- C-Cation in a case relating to load balancing features involving the DOCSIS standard. C-Cation Technologies v. Comcast et al. (E.D. Tex.)
- Avaya and Sony in patent litigations relating to predictive text features. Defended Avaya and Sony against claims of patent infringement. Data Carriers v. Avaya and Data Carriers v. Sony Computer Entertainment America et al. (D. Del.)
- Sony in a patent litigation relating to video and audio encoding. Defended Sony against claims of patent infringement. Mediostream v. Acer America et al. (N.D. Cal.)
- Sony in patent litigations in which Kenyon defended Sony against claims of patent infringement relating to 3D technology. HumanEyes Technologies v. Sony et al. and In the Matter of Certain Cameras and Mobile Devices (D. Del., ITC)
- Tris Pharma, as trial counsel, at preliminary injunction hearing involving trade secret and unfair competition claims. UCB Manufacturing v. Tris Pharma et al. (N.J. state court)
- GE Healthcare in a false advertising case concerning x-ray contrast agents. District court found in favor of GE Healthcare after trial on its false advertising counterclaim. Bracco Diagnostics v. Amersham Health (D.N.J.)
- Sony in patent litigation relating to handheld electronic communication devices. Obtained dismissal with prejudice of patent infringement claims against Sony. Wireless Agents v. Amoi Electronics et al. (W.D. Tex.)
- FCI in patent litigation relating to electrical connectors. Obtained favorable jury verdict for FCI on its patent infringement claims. FCI v. Hon Hai Precision Industry et al. (N.D. Cal.)