David Kaplan has nearly a decade of experience with intellectual property matters, with a specific focus on patent litigation in a broad array of forums including U.S. district courts, the International Trade Commission, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and in trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Mr. Kaplan’s clients have included Volkswagen, Sony, Lenovo, Olympus, and Toyota, among others.
Mr. Kaplan has handled all phases of patent litigation for both patent owners and accused infringers for a wide range of technologies, from the filing of a complaint through appeal. He is also experienced with licensing issues and in counseling clients on the interplay between litigation and trial proceedings before the PTAB. Mr. Kaplan has been involved in more than one dozen reexaminations and inter partes reviews before the PTAB, and has represented both patent owners and petitioners in those proceedings.
While earning his undergraduate degree, Mr. Kaplan gained technical experience in mechanical and electrical engineering, and earned accolades for his work on aircraft propulsion and design.
- C-Cation Technologies in a patent infringement case concerning cable television systems and DOCSIS. Case settled after favorable claim construction ruling. C-Cation Technologies v. Comcast (E.D.Tex.)
- C-Cation, Inc. and C-Cation Technologies in a breach of contract case related to an earlier settlement agreement. Case settled after motion for summary judgment granted in part. Comcast v. C-Cation, Inc. (S.D.N.Y.)
- Volkswagen AG, Audi AG, and Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. in an action concerning tire pressure monitoring systems. Successfully moved for dismissal for lack of standing with respect to two patents in the district court; the court of appeals affirmed. Successfully moved for non-infringement with respect to third patent in the district court; the court of appeals subsequently agreed with the Volkswagen companies that plaintiff MHL lacked standing with respect to the third patent as well. MHL Tek v. Nissan Motor Co. et al. (E.D. Tex.)
- Janam in patent litigation regarding mobile wireless technology. Defeated motion for a preliminary injunction. Symbol Technologies v. Janam Technologies (D. Del.)
- GE Healthcare in a false advertising case concerning x-ray diagnostic contrast agents. District court found in favor of GE Healthcare after 39 day trial on its false advertising counterclaim. Bracco Diagnostics v. Amersham Health (D.N.J.)
- Integrity Data, Inc. in a patent infringement case relating to night vision systems. Case settled after motion for summary judgment filed. Tactical Solutions v. OFUS Corp. et al. (D. Col.)